- Pepe has signed an extension until 2017. Pepe is 32 years old right now, so it might be possible for him to retire here (that would be lovely!) As of this moment, Arbeloa is the only player with a contract ending this coming season.
- Spanish wonderkid, Marco Asensio, is being loaned out to Espanyol. They are not given the option to buy (so we will definitely get him back) and they will face a financial penalty if he doesn't play in at least 30 games for the club (exceptions made for injuries and suspensions.)
- Lucas Silva is definitely being loaned out (which is why Kovacic secured the #16 jersey). Real Betis and Levante are supposedly interested in the midfielder. It is necessary to loan him out as the three slots for non-EU players have already been filled by Danilo, Casemiro and James.
- Cheryshev and Illarra are also possibly being loaned out. In the case of Illarra, Real Sociedad have been looking at him for a loan move but RM would rather sell him to recoup some of his transfer fee....
- ..... which begs the question: who the hell are we going to sell?? We've spent €82 million on transfers alone this summer... and we haven't even signed a galactico yet (thankfully). We've let go of some players, loaned them out... but we haven't actually sold anyone for income. There's huge buzz surrounding Benzema and Arsenal... could that be the money-maker? I hope not.
- King Cristiano is one of the finalists for the UEFA 14/15 Best Player in Europe award. He will be up against Messi (of course) and Luis Suarez (um, okay?)
- Enzo Zidane is appointed captain of Real Madrid Castilla by his dad (y'all probably never heard of him... not like he's one of the GOATs or anything....)
- ICYMI: Rafa Benitez has won three trophies in the pre-season, but the team's performance has been.... ehhh, so-and-so, I would say, personally. To recap: International Champions Cup (Australia Leg) - 0-0 vs. Roma and they won via penalties, we won 4-1 against Manchester City so apparently that makes us champions in Australia. Meanwhile, in the China Leg of the tournament, we won 3-0 against Inter Milan, 0-0 vs. AC Milan and we won via penalties (with Kiko Casilla scoring the winning goal.... yes, it took that long.), so that makes us champions in China.... The format for the tournament has been a little weird this year. Then we traveled over to Munich for the Audi Cup. Won 2-0 against the Spurs in the semi-finals but lost 1-0 to Bayern Munich thanks to Lewandowski (who was subbed in at the second half). We traveled to Norway for a friendly against Valerenga where Martin Odegaard was well-received. And finally, we went home to the Bernabeu for the Trofeo Santiago Bernabeu and won 2-1 against Galatasaray, the winner coming from vice-captain Marcelo who dinked the ball past Galatasaray's defense and rather than crossing it over to his teammates like he always does so beautifully, he decides to go for gold and shoot it past Gala's GK.
So for those who followed the team during the pre-season: 1.) What did you think of the team's performance under Benitez? Does it give you a little bit of hope for this season?, and 2.) Will we sign a galactico? Who are we going to sell? Are we gonna get De Gea or nah? (Interesting to note that he's been watching from the stands for United since the PL season started but Van Gaal insists that he's not being sold.)